Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Talk To Me Tuesday, Lindsay Storrs

74304_499826699273_570594273_7128844_5312822_n Lindsay Storrs is the KUTV Weekend Meteorologist here in Utah – but you won’t see her on TV until April! She very recently had her fourth child, a baby girl (their first!), and gets a little bit of a breather (if taking care of a newborn can be considered such!). I wanted to snag an interview from her for Pearls, and it worked out that she can’t really sleep anyway, so she agreed! I promised her I would correct her spelling and grammar so no one would really know just how sleep-deprived she is!
Pearls: How did you become the KUTV Weekend Meteorologist... and what does that mean?
Lindsay: A Meteorologist is someone who studies the atmosphere & then predicts what the weather will be like for the next several days. I have always had a love of weather from the time I was a little girl. In fact, I decided I was going to be a meteorologist when I was nine-years-old & never deviated from it. I really felt like it was one of my "callings" in life for some reason. Even when others told me I would 41284_460495019273_570594273_6361316_3435894_nnever make it in the TV business, I felt a strong assurance from the Lord that it was something I was supposed to do. I went to BYU & received a degree in Broadcast Journalism & then afterward continued my education in Meteorology through USDA Graduate School in Washington DC. My first on-air job was in a little tiny town in Louisiana called Lake Charles. I worked for the Fox affiliate there as their Chief Meteorologist for three years. While I was there, I gave birth to my first son, Connor. When Connor was about 12-months-old, I was offered a job as the Weekend Meteorologist for the NBC affiliate in Reno, NV. Once there, I stated to feel the need to not only be a Meteorologist, but to be a stay-at-home mom to my son as well. I didn't know how to do both since my current work situation was forcing me to work 50+ hours a week most of the time. I had a serious heart-to-heart conversation with Heavenly Father about what I should do with my life. On one hand, I really felt like I was supposed to be a Meteorlogist. But, on the other hand, I really felt the need to be home with my son as well. I asked the Lord how I was supposed to do both. I instantly got a very strong answer. It was simply that I was to quit my job & move to Salt Lake. WHAT?!? It didn't even seem logical. I told my husband about the answer I had received & he instantly said, "Okay, let's go!" He was able to find a job in Salt Lake quickly & we made the move. When we had been here for a little more than a month, I got a call out of the blue from the News Director at KUTV. He had heard through the grapevine that I was living here & he offered me a part-time weekend job. That was almost seven years ago. I worked first as the Weekend Morning Meteorologist & then was moved to the Weekend Evening Shows a few years ago. It has been such a blessing to our family! I really feel like the Lord has made it possible for me to be both a Meteorologist & Mom at the same time.
Pearls: You’re always so cute, do you love it?
Lindsay: Thanks! Yes, I love doing it! In my opinion, it's the best job in the world! I 40771_460493044273_570594273_6361200_2845979_nlove forecasting the weather & then being able to explain it to others. Plus, there aren't many jobs out there will allow you to be wrong & not get fired! ;)
Pearls: What are some of the difficulties of being a public figure?
Lindsay: Probably the hardest part is just knowing that you are being watched by others all the time. There have been many times when my kids have been acting up in public & I have been trying to discipline them, when someone will come up & say, "Aren't you that weathergirl from TV?" You know, after that, they went to all their friends and said, "Hey! You know that weathergirl from TV? Well, I saw her yelling at her kids the other day!"
Pearls: Besides talking about the weather, what else do you enjoy?
Lindsay: I love to just be with my family. They are a wild & crazy bunch, but we always have so much fun together. Besides that, I love to travel (but don't get to do it as much as I would like). I also enjoy blogging. Oh, and eating chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate!
Pearls: How do you balance the different aspects of your life? (i.e home life, work, church callings?)
Lindsay: I just take it one day at a time. Some days are better than others. I am a big list maker. I love to be able to cross something off a list once it is completed. But, I know that I couldn't do everything I do without a supportive husband. There are times when I have to fill in for a co-workers while they are on vacation or sick. On weeks like that, he really steps up & does many of the things I can't get done. Without him, I don't think I could do it all.
41284_460495059273_570594273_6361324_5677423_nPearls: How do you find ways to stay close to Heavenly Father?
Lindsay: I think the most important way is to pray constantly. I try to talk to Heavenly Father throughout the day, not just morning & night. You don't have to be kneeling by your bed to talk to Him. I have found myself praying while I do the dishes, drive in the car--don't close your eyes for this one though :) -- or at my desk at work.
Pearls: In such a conflicting world, what do you feel is the most important thing to teach your children?
Lindsay: To have a testimony of Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ. If they believe in & have a love for them, I hope that they will WANT to make the right choices throughout their lives...not just because I told them to.

4 comments:

Carli said...

Great interview! Thanks Lindsay!

kanaboke said...

What an awesome interview! Smart, Spiritual, AND Witty! Lindsay Storrs is AMAZING!

Amanda said...

I've known Lindsay for the past several years. She's not only become one of my dearest friends, she is also a great example to me in so many ways. She shares her testimony, not only through her words, but more importantly, through her actions.

Love her!

Annieofbluegables said...

beautiful story, beautiful woman. thanks Lindsay and Pearls.


Please correct the spelling of "Jesus Christ" at the bottom of the story. Thanks
~a

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...