Monday, March 28, 2011

The Worth of Every Soul…

...Is Great In The Sight of God.

I was getting my hair done and when I finished, I walked out to my car on the street... which was, to my shock, still there. If a policemen were to have rolled by with a ruler, he could have given me a ticket because my bumper was about half a foot over the red mark for sidewalk parking... anyway. That's totally like me to get on a tangent :)

I walk out of the Salon, a huge gust of wind blew my hair all over my face (attractive, I know.) I put on my $1 stunnah shades and walk straight for my car. As I flip my hair out of my face, I notice this woman to my left... she is just standing there looking as if she needs something... to do something, to say something... but she's not sure what it is she needs. Her face looks like she's been out in the sun a lot- sad, tired eyes, lines on her forehead and cheeks from long years of working.

I learned her name was Mary after asking her to get into my car. Where did she need to go? To the mall she told me. We made small talk. I was trying to get to know someone I'd only seen for 2 minutes of my life. She wore pants up to her belly button, an old shirt, and a coat because it was a little chilly out. Her posture was a little bent over, and she seemed to be about 60 years old. She barely spoke English, but I still talked to her. I wasn't sure if she was Native American or Latin... her skin was weathered, and I could just tell that she had been through a lot.

While we were in the car, she seemed a little embarrassed, yet grateful. We drove and I said, "Wow, this would have been a long walk."

She smiled sheepishly and said, "I usually have a ride, but my friend was busy today." I just nodded. When was the last time I didn't have transportation and had to rely on someone? I realized then that we were both embarrassed. She for taking a ride, and me for being spoiled.

After I had dropped her off at the mall, she told me, "God bless you. Thank you so much." in her hesitant English, and I felt right then and there, that this is our mission on Earth - to help those who don't have the resources we do. I have a car. I have a cell phone. I'd just about die if I had to catch the bus... yet here was this humble woman who didn't speak English very well, probably didn't have electronic access to the bus schedule, didn't have a car, didn't have a cell phone... and may not have had shelter.

This sweet sister showed me that I have a lot, even at times when I feel like I don't. There is always going to be someone better, or worst off than me. For those that don't have their basic needs, I need to help them. Even though someone is different from me, it is so important to remember that even though at times it may be hard, we need to remind ourselves that the worth of every soul is GREAT in the eyes of God.


I don't know if her name was really Mary. Maybe she just told me that because I had asked and she wanted to give a name... and I don't know if I'll ever see her again... but this was the first time I have given a stranger a ride, and it has left me feeling nothing but joy and compassion for my sister. I'm yearning to be better and not letting my fear of the unknown (race, religion, places, people) keep me from doing the right thing. :)

*Story republished with permission.

Jocie De Corte

Jocie is from Oahu, Hawai'i. She is a rockin' Zumba instructor, plays the guitar and sings. She's recently become a regular at El Mexsal and she LOVES Pupusas. She is almost done with her Masters in Social Work.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...